Aug 20, 2012

Butternut Squash - Stovetop

Butternut squash is beginning to appear at the farmers markets.  Usually I oven roast them and turn it into soup.  But it's still a bit hot outside for soup.  

Tonight I prepared it stovetop.  Friday night, I wrapped it in foil for the grill.  Any way you fix it - yummo!

First I peeled the squash with a vegetable peeler.  Cut it in half and scoop out the seeds.  Then cut it in equal-ish sized pieces.  You will need a good knife for this endeavor.  Wimpy knives need not apply!
Heat your pan (I used cast iron, but a wok works well, too) over medium high heat.  Add some sort of fat.  Bacon grease is yum - tonight I used ghee - but coconut oil would be delish, too.

When the oil and pan are hot, add the squash.  You will be tempted to stir but don't.  The high heat will help to caramelize the natural sugars in the squash.  After a few minutes then you can stir.  Find something else to do in the kitchen to take your mind off the temptation to stand and stir.
After 10 minutes (maybe it was 15...I got distracted trying to clean up my kitchen and not stir too frequently) the squash should be just about right.  The color deepens and the texture is like that of a ripe cantaloupe.
It's even easier to prepare for the grill.  After removing the skin and seeds and chopping to equal sizes, wrap in a foil envelope.  Add a generous amount of butter and put it on the grill for 25-30 minutes.

My daughter calls it candy.
-Julie

share facebook tweet

1 comment:

  1. Had this with grilled chicken and fresh green beans last night - thanks for the quick and easy idea! Everyone loved it and the girls had fun talking about how cute Caroline is while we ate.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails