Jun 15, 2011

Packaging Baked Oatmeal

A reader, Lindsay, commented to ask, "How do you store the baked oatmeal, until you are ready to eat it?"

Interesting that you should ask.  I would have answered differently before today.  I stored it differently than HB, but after seeing her method I decided to try it.

First we both cut into portions.
HB then puts the squares into a gallon ziploc bag, with the two layers separated by wax paper.

Before seeing her genius way, I was individually wrapping each serving in plastic wrap then storing them in a gallon bag.  My way is more time consuming.  It is also easier for little hands to reach in the bag and get breakfast on their own.  Individually wrapped portions are also excellent snacks on the go.

Both storage methods pictured above.

If I make a single portion of baked oatmeal (in a 9x13 pan), then I usually just store it in pan, covered, in the fridge.  It will last up to two weeks in the fridge.

Another tip: often I add another egg to the recipe to give the recipe more protein.

-Julie

share facebook tweet

5 comments:

  1. Question: Where did you get those big pans for your baked oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie--HB here. My sister bought those wonderful pans for me at the Krebs Brothers Restaurant Supply Store in North Little Rock. They are very, very useful and lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this, but I bet my little toddler would love this. I will have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you--what a great idea! I think I am going to make a huge pan like that for multiple breakfasts. There is just three of us that eat breakfast in the morning, but what a great time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My baked oatmeal never comes out this firm! It is always a gooey casserole that I just spoon into bowls for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails