Nov 28, 2012

Green Tomato Salsa

I'm participating in the Arkansas Farmshare and in the last few weeks members been receiving green tomatoes.  What the heck is one to do with green tomatoes?  Yes, southerners, we can fry them.  But have you made green tomato salsa?

Thank you, culinary expert and friend HB, for giving me the courage to try it.  She made it first and let me taste.  She knows I hate to try a new recipe only to have it flop.  This one does not flop.  I promise.


Ingredients:
1/2 pound green tomatoes, about 2-3
2 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeño pepper*, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
, heaping
1/2 teaspoon salt

squeeze of lime or lemon juice
optional: 1/2 teaspoon cumin

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse to combine and get juices flowing.  Blend on low speed until a coarse puree is formed.  Pour into a dish, taste and add more salt or lime if desired.  Salsa can be thinned with a bit of water if desired.

For a milder salsa, remove the pepper seeds or reduce the number of peppers.

*I still have jalapeño peppers growing in my raised garden!
-Julie

share facebook tweet

2 comments:

  1. Yum! i will have to try that. I have been making green tomato sauce. Just chop them up and cook them down with onions, garlic, salt & pepper. Add a splash of vinegar. I pureed one batch with an immersion blender and put it in the crock pot with country ribs. They turned out very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made several batches of the green tomato salsa and have been taking it to holiday gatherings. It is quite a crowd pleaser! The beautiful green color is also very festive-looking in a Christmas bowl.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails