Feb 23, 2014

Is Arnica in Your First Aid Kit? It should be.

Recently my 13 month old fell and hit his eye (bone, near outer eye). Immediately a pump knot surfaced and I could tell it was quickly turning blue. It was going to be nasty.

I remembered that HB had raved about the homeopathic remedy, Arnica. The container says it is for "muscle aches, stiffness, swelling from injuries, discoloration from bruising."

A few months ago, when I was in Drug Emporium, I actually bought some to prepare for the inevitable. As the mother of three small children we have our fair share of bumps. It cost $6.48 for a small vial that looks like chap stick but there are probably 100 doses.  I can't find amount on container. Each pill is about 1/3 the size of a tic tac so I gave one to Schaeffer.

Soon after the fall we put him to bed. The next morning his eye was red and a bit swollen but no bruising!  I'm confident he would have had a black eye if I didn't administer the Arnica. It was ugly.

The next day I emailed other mom friends and told them about this wonderful homeopathic remedy.  Several replied with similar crazy stories.  One mom carries Arnica with her at all times, as it is most effective when administered soon after the trauma.

Like many homeopathic remedies, Arnica comes in pellets as well as a cream.  One friend wrote, "I have found the pellets/tablets to be more effective than the creams/gels.  The healing seems to be more pronounced.  I'd use both for a significant lump like a goose egg.  Otherwise, the pellets are sufficient.  Great to use after car accidents."

I've since read on ye-ole-internet that some people recommend taking a dose or two before surgery to reduce swelling (as well as after surgery).  One site said Arnica could help relieve discomfort from mouth sores causes by cancer treatments.

The beauty of homeopathic remedies is you really have to work hard to overdose (like eat several bottles at once) - even then the side effects are mild, like loose stools.  Plus, because they are from natural sources you aren't feeding toxins to your family.

I'm no doctor nor do I have any medical training so do your own research.  However, I am a mom and saw a miracle happen before my very eyes and now I'm a believer in Arnica.

All this to say, I recommend getting some Arnica for your first aid kit. Especially if you have boys. :)

-Julie

Related: Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
First Aid Kit Holistic Essentials

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails