May 28, 2012

Zippy Potato Salad


This potato salad is super-yumma-lish.  Anyone who likes potato salad usually loves this one.

Boil:
6 medium red potatoes with skin on; if I use white potatoes they are usually peeled. I cut either into cubes before boiling.

Mix:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
4 heaping teaspoons horseradish, or more
(I buy the non-creamy horseradish in the seafood section)
1 cup chopped organic celery, or more
1 teaspoon sea salt
15 squirts of hot sauce, or more
1 cup chopped (fresh) parsley, or more
1 onion minced or 1 c. green onion, chopped
hard boiled eggs, optional

Comments:
Don't skimp on the horseradish or fresh parsley.  They really set this potato salad apart from all the others on the picnic table.  Mix, taste and adjust your flavors.  Usually I add mayo and sour cream a spoonful at a time because not all "medium potatoes" are medium.

Potatoes and celery are on the "dirty dozen" so I try to buy organic when I can.

If you're up for mastering a new skill, try making mayonnaise.  Recently I tried making it and found this recipe a good one.  When making mayo, I usually use 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 another milder tasting oil (like safflower or grape seed).  Even if you were to revert to using a *bad* oil like canola, homemade mayonnaise made with pastured egg yolks is waaaaaaay better for you than anything you buy at the grocery store.

-Julie



share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails