Mar 25, 2014

Plant Something

Even before having access to a community garden, I coerced my husband to build a raised bed in the back yard.  We've since moved and that raised bed is next to the driveway.  This year, for the first time, I planted kale in the fall.  Who would have expected it to survive the winter, let alone this winter?  We have enjoyed messes of greens all winter.  I love gardening is frugal and I know what chemicals are on it (none.)
Gardening is cathartic for me.  I love digging my hands in the dirt, pulling weeds, watering, sweating, everything about it.  What's not to love about a juicy ripe red tomato that you've babied to fruition?
My baby had a blast today at our community garden.

Even if you have labeled yourself "a black thumb" give it another chance this year.  I've been playing in the dirt all my life and I learn something new every year.  And there is so much to learn about growing things.  So many teachable moments for children and adults alike.
Above: raised bed by my driveway, almost 3 years ago.
My children?  They love it, too.  Maybe they are not as devoted to watering when it's 110 degrees but they enjoy playing with the hose.
Caroline is my best garden helper.  Saggy diaper and all.

Some have even been known to eat a bit of dirt.  I like to think of it as additional beneficial bacteria. :)
 She no longer eats the dirt but likes to play in it nonetheless.
Reaping a harvest is super fun.  Below is my oldest, when he was 6, with our first cucumber that year.  My daughter will eat cherry tomatoes as quick as she can pull them off the vine.  I love they know where (some of) their food comes from.
Don't have a space for a raised bed?  Try container gardening.  Herbs work great in pots and pack a mighty punch to dinner.  In the pots below I grew basil, thyme, and sage.  Rosemary is another hearty herb (read: hard to kill.)  In the raised bed below, I grew swiss chard, peppers, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers.
One summer I attempted to hide our gas meter with a tomato plant.
This sweet sugar is playing in the pot that grew a billion jalapeño peppers.  Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but it was prolific.
Whether pots or raised beds, having them close to your house makes for easy pickin's when it's dinner time.  Just last night I ran out and grabbed some green onions to enjoy with our dinner.

Fresh makes everything better.
-Julie

PS - Argenta Farmers Market opens this weekend.

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails