Apr 14, 2011

Argenta Farmers Market THIS Saturday!

The farmers market in North Little Rock will open THIS Saturday, April 16 at 7am until noon.

I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!  The weather should be gorgeous.  Grab a friend -or your family- and show the hard workin' farmers some support.

If you take your kids, give them some cash to buy whatever they want.  It could surprise you.  Last year I gave my son money and he bought a HUGE sprig of dill.  Why?  I don't know.  It looked pretty and smelled good.  He wanted it.  The frugal miser in me had to do something with it once we were home, so I used it in something for dinner.

Maybe you could let your pickiest eater to choose something that you would make for dinner.  If the child chooses it, he might be more inclined to eat it.  Or at least try it.  We give points for trying at my house.

Maybe you are the picky eater.  Maybe you should buy something you haven't eaten before, then scour the internet for a yummy recipe.

Maybe you're afraid of wanting to buy everything. (That's me.)  I've been known to take a set amount of cash.  When I'm out, I'm out.  I have to make choices based on cash available.  Works for me.

What can we expect on Saturday?
I emailed a few farmers and here's what I found out:

Kellogg Valley will have lettuce, broccoli, Swiss chard, heirloom bradywine tomato plants, herb plants, various other garden transplants.

Farm Girls will have a whole slew of pork cuts (bone-in & boneless chops, country, spare, & baby-back ribs, loin roasts, butt roasts, original, jalapeno, & hot sausage), heirloom tomato plants, scarlet globe and french breakfast radishes, Dino Kale, collards, duck eggs, and brown and rainbow chicken eggs.

Barnhill Orchards will have Sweet Potatoes, various green onions and a limited amount of strawberries.

North Pulaski Farm will have Green Towers Romaine Lettuce, Sylvesta Butterhead Lettuce, Purple Top Turnip Greens, Lacinto Dinasoar Kale, Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard, Champion Collards, Baby Impala Cabbage, White Icicle Radishes, Moss Curled Parsley, Bouquet Dill, Giant Winter Spinach and Monterey & Sweet Charlie Strawberries.

-Julie
I tried to incorporate spring greens in this week's menu here.

The River Market will open in May.
Rumor has it that the market at Pulaski Academy will re-open.  Stay tuned for more details.

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails