Jan 5, 2014

Healing Ulcerative Colitis with Real Food: A Testimony

Tappi Haney contacted me through Facebook and shared briefly her story, of how real food has healed her.  It encouraged me so much I cried when I read it to my husband.  I begged Tappi to share her story to encourage you.  Thanks, Tappi, for encouraging all of us.  -Julie

+++++++
Me (Tappi) at the 12 mile mark if the 3 Bridges Marathon. I had to give up running a few years ago because of my tummy troubles.  Now I'm back at it thanks to Real Food in Little Rock.  I really don't know how to express how grateful I am.

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in my mid-twenties. Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition, an inflammatory bowel disease similar to Crohn's, and often the symptoms of abdominal cramping and bloody diarrhea develop gradually.  Though for some people the symptoms are sudden.

I didn't have a clue what the diagnosis meant and after a few months of flares the pain went away.  Looking back, maybe the remission was because I didn't eat junk food or maybe I wasn't eating anything to cause a flare.  Maybe I was just young and invincible.

Then in my mid-forties I started needing frequent bathroom trips. I didn't think anything of it until one day I felt pain. I knew exactly what that was.  The previously diagnosed ulcerative colitis was back with a vengence.

For seven years I writhed in pain, experienced countless embarrassments, and took prescription medicine: the awful Remicade that elevated my liver enzymes.  I was miserable.

Because of the tummy troubles I missed so much work I was afraid of losing my job.  Most trips to work were spent with me begging God to please help me get across the parking lot to the bathroom. I always brought a change of clothes with me.

I was frustrated.  My life was over, I couldn't do anything I enjoyed anymore. I had to have a bathroom, plus the constant pain that just sucked the energy out of me.  I was on medicine year round and I didn't like that.

This chronic condition was manageable but not good. I had mostly given up hope that I would ever live a normal life again.

Over time I began to put it together that food had something to do with the flares.  I started a food journal and kept a list of foods that I knew hurt, but if I didn't have a bad experience within 24 hours then it didn't make the list.  Things gave me issues were potatoes, beans, corn, and things like that.  Wheat or sugar never made the list because those take their time in causing pain.  (When I brought the food-to-flare correlation up at doctor visits, he would get angry.)

Then one day I was buying pork from a local farmer and I mentioned my problem. She said to connect with Real Food in Little Rock. I signed up for the email and thought it was interesting.

Then one day Caris' mom, Wendy, wrote about her daughter. She detailed the story about how wonderful it was that Caris was no longer miserable with gut trouble. She explained the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Caris, after years of pain similar to mine, was experiencing normalcy, having fun, and playing.

I couldn't believe what I read. A flame of hope began to flicker. I could be normal too. I printed the article and read it probably a hundred times. I bought the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

After reading the book I would not have tried the diet if it hadn't of been for Wendy writing about Caris.  She showed me it was the way to go. I would have thought it was an impossible diet to follow otherwise. I followed it and was patient.

It was said that die off of bad bugs in my gut would happen and that I would feel horrible for a while. Oh boy, were they were right. I felt awful for about 3 months. Not stabbing-pain-gut-trouble awful, just awful all over - sort of like flu symptoms.

Then one day I drove to work and I didn't have to go to the bathroom. At all.  Looking back it is kind of funny now, but I wondered if I was constipated. :)

I only got better from there. I will say that I didn't get over the "top" until I eliminated eggs. I have been off all medicine since April 2013. I have a normal life. I can't tell you have wonderful it is to be normal and pain free.

I have a new life. As I write this tears are in my eyes as I am so happy and grateful that Wendy wrote about Caris and that Julie takes the time to write a blog. Thank you both. You have changed my life.

-Tappi Haney

see also: The GAPS Diet Heals Ulcerative Colitis and Yes! You CAN Heal from Ulcerative Colitis with NO Drugs!
+++++
Thank you, Tappi for encouraging us with your story.  If other readers would like to share a story, email me, Julie, luvmyhub AT gmail DOT com

share facebook tweet

2 comments:

  1. We could not be more pleased for you, Tappi! What a tremendous blessing to read of your healing process. Caris and I read this together with tears and sighs. Here is what she would like to say to you: "Last summer I met a friend of my dad's who is also on the SCD diet. He said that he liked Larabars. I had never met anyone who was on the diet and knew what it was like. I hope my family can meet you. What snacks do you like to eat? I like to eat Larabars and make my own trail mix sometimes. My mom makes bread with cashew butter or almond flour and that way I can have a sandwich when I go to my co-ops. My funny bread helped me make a friend once and she was on the GAPS diet, but her brother was allergic to nuts. I'm so glad I'm not allergic to nuts! Oh, and I thought the week of broth and soup was the hardest part. Now it's been about 2 years and 2 months and I get to eat rice, potatoes, and sometimes chocolate chips. I feel a lot better and I'm glad it helped you, too." (Caris, now 9)

    God bless you as you continue to heal and thrive, Tappi!
    wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis colitis is basically a chronic ailment which prospects to irritation in the colon. For several who do not know Precisely what is the colon, it could be referred to as the large intestine of human overall entire body. It might even be referred staying an inflammatory bowel issue which is comparable to trouble. The colon receives rid of nutritional vitamins and minerals of undigested foods likewise as doing away with squander items in the anus and rectum when feces (stool) are handed. What is Ulcerative Colitis

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails