Jun 3, 2010

Meet Your Farmers

Saturday morning I was itching to get out of the house and down to the Certified Arkansas Farmers Market in North Little Rock. You see, I gave birth to a sweet little girl three weeks ago and I've not been out much.  It was my intention to interview and take pictures of more farmers but my 5 year-old son was also along for the outing.  He didn't have much patience for talking.  Nonetheless, I was able to take a few pictures.

Meet Dwayne and Shellia Kornegay of Kornegay Berry Farm, in Pine Bluff, Arkansas.  As the name of their farm implies, they grow berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and muscadines) but they also grow vegetables, with some use of fertilizers and pesticides.  Plants aren't the only thing growing on the Kornegay's Berry Farm.  They raise Texas A& M quail (for eggs) and bees to pollinate their berries.  When you stop by their table you'll see produce, honey, quail eggs, fresh baked goods as well as jams.


Pictured right: a chicken egg compared to quail eggs.

Robert of Willow Springs Market Garden is passionate about organic gardening.  Just stop by and chat with him and you'll learn something about growing plants or fighting insects the natural way.  He is very knowledgeable.

While chatting with him, the delicious aroma of dill was calling my name.  I bought some - as did my 5 year old son, who's money was burning a hole in his pocket.  I'd planned to use the dill with marinated cucumbers (using apple cider vinegar and honey) as well as with sautéed squash and zucchini.

Robert sells several herbs but gave me a sprig (with roots) of Vietnamese Coriander, telling me it can be used like cilantro, with a gentle warning to plant it in a pot.  Similar to spearmint, Vietnamese Coriander can quickly overtake your garden; it is best to have it contained.

When the market first opened in the spring,  I purchased soap from him.  Once you try homemade soap, you'll not want to go back to the store bought stuff.

Hope to see you this weekend at the market!

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails