Jan 13, 2012

New Year's Real Food Resolutions

This post is written by Christy K.

My family has been eating real food for a while, but there are always areas that we can improve upon.  Here are some changes I'd like to see in the coming months:

Plan ahead for meals away from home.

This is a big hurdle for me.  I really enjoy eating out, if only because someone else is doing the cooking!  Usually though, this is lunches for my husband.  But just this step would:

1. Save money
2. Provide better nutrition than restaurant meals and/or junk food
3. Avoid re-introducing foods that are addictive, like sugar and white flour

How?

1. Seek out some healthy foods that can be bought easily and inexpensively if we can't make it home to eat, and keep some cups, napkins, etc. in the car.
2. Keep some individual portions of food or sandwiches in the freezer which will thaw quickly and make a good meal on the run.
3. Keep a few cans of tuna or salmon that can quickly be made into a salad to either put on homemade crackers or bread, or eaten with a fork.
4. Send a thermos of raw milk to work with hubby, and another thermos of hot soup or other leftovers.  

Be faithful to take supplements.

Even though I think taking supplements is necessary because of soil mineral depletion, I am prone to skipping them when I don't feel like taking them.  We take High-Vitamin Cod Liver Oil and an iodine supplement, but need to add in more minerals (possibly Concentrace and nettles) which would be added to soups.  I'm also considering desiccated liver since we don't care much for organ meats.

Find or create a sourdough bread recipe that we enjoy. 

This has eluded me for years!  But I haven't given up and recently purchased a sourdough starter from Cultures for Health to try in place of my homemade (too sour) starters.

Square Foot Gardening: A New Way to Garden in Less Space with Less WorkKeep a sufficient quantity of lettuce growing in my garden year round. 

I have lettuce in my garden right now - but not enough.  So what do I do?  I buy organic lettuce.  I can't bear to wipe out my salad garden for one meal!  Silly, huh?  Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew has been great inspiration!

Writing out these goals has been a great way to force myself to think through the best way to accomplish them. Isn’t that the first step? And there is nothing like having a way to look back and see how far we’ve come!

-Christy

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails