Dec 12, 2013

Deceptively Delicious - hiding squash

A generous amount of butternut squash and a few decorative pumpkins (the pie sized ones) have been staring me in the face since oh, about mid-September.  Hello, it's December.  I roasted those babies last week and made a GINORMOUS pot of butternut squash soup.  And had 5 cups of squash/pumpkin remaining.

{Last week my eleven-month old also started sleeping through the night **THANKYOUJESUS!!!** and I feel like I have a new lease on life.}

Some where along my food journey I read Jessica Seinfeld's book, Deceptively Delicious.  The basic premise is you can hide nutrition in certain foods and your children pickiest eaters will never know it. Life ebbs and flows and there are times I do better at nutrition with my family.  With the extra 5 cups of  roasted butternut squash in my fridge, I decided to add a cup or so to my chili.  The family never knew it.  Double bonus for me is that the squash isn't going to waste!  
You could also do this with carrots or sweet potatoes in most red-sauced-dishes.

The sky is the limit as to what you can hide.  In the cookbook Jessica goes so far as to hide a can of garbanzo beans in chocolate chip cookies.

What are you hiding?
-Julie

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails