Sep 14, 2010

Try It Tuesday: Brussel Sprouts

source
This poor vegetable has a bad reputation and I'm not sure why. Prepared properly, they are quite tasty!  According to Wikipedia, brussel sprouts are providers of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fiber.  Moreover, they are believed to protect against colon cancer.
bussels on stalk

Brussel sprouts are in the same family cabbage, collard greens, broccoli, kale, and kohlrabi - all plants that grow best in cooler temperatures.

Fall is comin' y'all!  Brussel sprouts will be making their way to the farmers markets and in produce sections of the grocery store.

I stumbled upon some, albeit small ones, at the River Market.  I snatched them up, took them home and roasted them.

First, I picked off any loose outer leaves and trimmed the bottoms.  If yours are large, you might consider cutting them in half.  The most important thing is that they are all of similar size for roasting evenly.


Then I drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled a generous amount of Real Salt.

I placed them in a single layer on a cookie sheet into a preheated 400* oven.  Since they were small, I checked on them after about 15 minutes.  I wanted them slightly charred but not burnt.

Delicious!  Please try it.

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails