Nov 15, 2011

Liverwurst

A characteristic of a traditional diet, or a diet recommended by the Weston A. Price Foundation, is that the foods are nutrient dense.

{Interesting to note: the USDA also recommends a nutrient dense diet but their modern definition is vastly different than what traditional peoples have eaten for thousands of years.  Our government defines nutrient dense as, "nutrients you need with relatively fewer calories that other foods in the same group."  If you were to offer me TWO heads of iceberg lettuce or ONE avocado, I would choose the avocado because it is nutrient dense.  I do not subscribe to the USDA's definition of nutrient dense.}

About Liver

Liver is nutrient dense and an excellent source of brain boosting, mineral assimilating, fat soluble vitamins A* and D.  The iron found in liver is five times more easily absorbed than iron found in plant sources.  There is more vitamin A in liver than any other food source and one of the few natural sources of vitamin D.  Need more B vitamins?  They're all in liver, particularly B12.  You'll also be eating phosphorus, copper, vitamin C as well as a host of other trace minerals.  It is a super-food.


For a while I've known that liver was extra-good for me and that I should eat it. When I've tried to sneak this miracle organ in enchiladas or hamburgers it made me gag. Could liverwurst be my baby step toward eating straight liver?


Liverwurst
US Wellness Meats was giving away samples at their booth at the Weston A. Price Wise Traditions annual conference.  Boldly, my fingers grabbed a toothpick that was anchored into liverwurst and I brought it to my lips before I was able to have second thoughts.

It wasn't that bad.

Ingredients: beef, beef liver, beef kidneys, beef heart, water, sea salt, onion powder, honey, white pepper, coriander, marjoram, allspice

A representative from US Wellness Meats encouraged me to also try the braunschweiger since it had more liver per pound and she thought it tasted less liver-y.  I disagree.

Saturday's lunch at the WAPF conference.
I bought the liverwurst.

The next day at lunch, liverwurst was on the buffet table so I put it on my plate and paired it with lacto-fermented pickles and raw cheese.  Also offered was Amish honey mustard, which was heavy on the honey.  After eating it this way, I knew my family would like it.

And I was right.  All of us like it this way:

Take a hunk of raw cheese - or another strong cheese.  Add a bit of liverwurst then a smidgin' of honey mustard and pop it in your mouth.  It would also be good with olives, capers, or lacto-feremented veggies.

Here's a video of my 18-month old begging for more.  Actually before the video she was more insistent. I suppose she is a bit camera shy.  You will see that she was willingly eating the liverwurst.  And it is next to impossible to get a toddler to eat something they don't want in their mouth.


*If you're interested in reading more information on vitamin A and why it needs to come from an animal source like liver, this is an extensive article by Sally Fallon-Morell and Mary Enig, PhD that explains more than I can.  Vitamin A is necessary for the assimilation of minerals.

This was an honest evaluation of liverwurst. I was not paid or compensated to give an endorsement for US Wellness Meats.

-Julie
my daughter wears purple beads whether or not she's on camera.  :)

share facebook tweet

5 comments:

  1. I cooked my first liver last night. Was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. The key was lots of onions. My goal is to cook it once a month. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline is rockin those beads...just like her momma! As for the liverwurst....again, just like her momma...weird! :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn to eat liver. Onions may be my ticket! Cool video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, do you know where I can score some freshly made Liverwurst or Braunschweiger here in Little Rock? Been to WholeFoods, my go-to, nada... Fresh Market, nope. Any specialty shops or butcher shops that you are aware of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric have you tried Hillcrest Artisan Meats (HAM)?
      https://www.facebook.com/HillcrestArtisanMeats

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails