Nov 19, 2011

Ranch Dressing

Hey y'all. HB here to share a quick and easy recipe. Who doesn't love a good ranch dressing? I started making my own long before going completely nuts and reading Nourishing Traditions. Now, not only do I make my own ranch dressing, I make my own mayo to go in my ranch dressing. Keep in mind, I don't spend hours a day in my kitchen. Making mayo takes a second or two and this dressing takes even less time. And, if your mayo flops, you can still use it in the dressing!


Ranch Dip or Dressing
3/4 to 1 cup mayo (homemade is best, recipe here)
1 cup sour cream (I use Nancy's organic cultured sour cream)
3/4 t. dried chives
1 t. dried parsley
1/4 to 1/2 t. dried dill weed (flavor intensifies the longer the dressing is refrigerated. I go very light on the dill)
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 t. salt, add to taste
1/4 t. black or white pepper
dash red pepper

Combine above and refrigerate for an hour. This makes a fairly thick consistency, so if you are wanting it to be thinner, you can add milk or water. It also thickens the longer it's been in the fridge. I have to thin the above recipe considerably for salad dressing. I've thinned it with buttermilk before and it was divine. Be sure to taste it after you've mixed it and feel free to add sour cream, spices, etc.

The dressing keeps for quite some time in the fridge. The last time I made it, I had a big ole batch of mayo that didn't set up quite right, so I used my trusty hand mixer to blend the ingredients. It turned out perfect! In retrospect, I don't even think I needed the mixer, I could have whisked it together by hand just as well.

And, since I'm feeling generous, I'll share one more dressing recipe that people lurve (originally discovered here):

Honey Dijon Dressing
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3-4 tablespoons honey (local, of course)
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and whisk well. Keeps well in the fridge.

Enjoy!

share facebook tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails