Jul 21, 2010

Ginger Peach Gumbo

This recipe was inspired from one I found in a Denver Junior League cookbook.  Most of the ingredients are local and fresh.  Yay!  
First, start with purple hull peas.  I must confess, when I saw them at the farmers market I thought they were black eyed peas.  Before today, to my knowledge, I've never eaten purple hull peas.  They are delicious!  I'm buying more this weekend just to eat with cornbread.  They are wonderful just as they are.  This is the recipe I used to cook them.

Here are the other ingredients, most were either from my garden or farmers market.
I chop; he stirs.






The recipe:


1T olive oil
1 c chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded & chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1-2 T chopped ginger
1 T curry (optional)
4 cups cooked purple hull peas
3 medium fresh tomatoes or 28 oz can with juices
1-2 cups fresh or frozen okra, chopped 1/2 inch pieces
salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large skillet.  Saute onion, peppers and garlic in hot oil until tender.  Stir in ginger.  Cook 3 more minutes.  Add peas, okra & tomatoes.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Simmer for 10 minutes.

Finally stir in peach - or, use as garnish.

Spoon over hot rice, basmati or brown.  I didn't have either so I used quinoa.

Optional:  Add cooked shrimp or chicken.

See Kelly the Kitchen Kop for more real food recipes.

share facebook tweet

1 comment:

  1. Lisa,
    I made the Gumbo tonight, with shrimp. It was YUMMY! I bought peas from the Searcy market today. What a great meal.

    Jami

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails